Alopecia areata (AA) is an autoimmune form of hair loss in which the body’s immune system attacks its own hair follicles, which it should not do. Like many other health problems, it sometimes starts after a stressful event.
Affected areas are usually circular, unless they involve the hairline. They can vary in size and can involve any hairs on the body – scalp, eyebrows, lashes, and even body hair.
The form of hair loss may improve spontaneously, but because we have no idea of when this may occur (weeks to years), we provide treatment. We also often recommend patients visit the website for the the National Alopecia Areata Foundation (www.naaf.org).
PEDICURE SAFETY – Do you know how to keep your tootsies safe during a pedicure?
- Be sure the salon has a current state license displayed and that the pedicurist is also licensed by the state board.
- Ask how the footbaths are cleaned. The bacterial are trapped in the filter, which should be cleaned frequently. A bleach solution should be circulated for 15 minutes.
- Do not shave your legs for at least 24 hours before your pedicure. Small nicks from shaving allow bacteria to invade your skin.
- Make sure the salon sterilizes clippers and metal instruments between clients. Items that cannot be sterilized (such as files, emery boards, etc) should be new for each client. Better yet, bring your own.
- Do not let the pedicurist cut cuticles or trim dead skin around your nails.
- If the pedicure spa tub does not look clean, forgo the pedicure and go somewhere else!
ARTAS ROBOTIC HAIR TRANSPLANT UPDATE!
Robotic technology allows for permanent hair restoration WITHOUT the pain and stitches associated with traditional hair transplants. Recovery time is fast, with most patients returning to work and other activities within a few days.
How does it work? The ARTAS robot identifies your optimal hairs to use for transplant (these hairs are typically taken from the back of the head). Hair is then selectively harvested with robotic precision to preserve the natural look of your donor area. Dr. Edwards then transplants the hair into the thinning and bald areas. Patients observe noticable, permanent, thicker hair growth in 4-6 months. This hair will continue to fill in over the next year.
The ARTAS robot was designed with the patient in mind. In the past, hair transplants could be a difficult proposition. Patients feared unnatural or pluggy results. Previous transplant techniques were more invasive, requiring stitches and many weeks of recovery time. Even after recovery, patients often lived with an annoying and obvious line scar in the back of the head, resulting in the feeling of scalp tightness and hair style limitations. With the ARTAS robot, patients can now expect great-looking results without the downside of older techniques. Hair plugs, invasive surgery, and long recoveries are things of the past.
AUGUST’S PRODUCT OF THE MONTH – DOUBLE ACTION FACIAL CLEANSER
The cleanser contains ultra pure glycolic acid coupled with the proven acne fighting ingredient salicylic acid.
Salicylic acid helps to reduce the number of acne blemishes & blackheads and allows the skin the heal.
Both glycolic and salicylic acid assist in the fading of dark spots.
Double Action Facial Cleanser – $16 plus tax.